Dear Minisink Valley school community:
Minisink Valley, like other districts, continues to address the impact the pandemic is having on our community and schools on a daily basis, which includes being responsive to increases in COVID-19 positivity cases.
We know these have been stressful times for everyone, particularly for the many students and their families who have been faced with quarantine and related issues. We are extremely grateful for your continued support and cooperation as we deal with the many COVID-19 mandates that have impacted groups of students.
However, out of an abundance of caution, and based on the strong recommendation of the Orange County Department of Health (OCDOH) Commissioner Dr. Irina Gelman, along with a regular review of other important metrics, Minisink Valley will “pause” its hybrid instructional model and shift to a fully remote learning schedule after the upcoming Thanksgiving and Winter recess breaks.
Please know our faculty and staff have been fully prepared for a scenario like this and will continue to do everything necessary to ensure your child’s academic success. The work they do on a daily basis continues to be a testament to their commitment to your child’s education.
This in-person instruction “pause,” following the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks, allows families to make their own decisions regarding isolation, testing and social gatherings without negatively impacting district operations.
The instructional model schedule for the coming weeks:
- Nov. 25 to Nov. 27: Schools closed for Thanksgiving break
- Nov. 30 to Dec. 11: The district will operate on a full remote schedule
- Dec. 14 to Dec. 22: The district will operate on a regular hybrid instructional schedule. Students will return to in-person instruction following their green/white hybrid cohort schedule.
- Dec. 23 to Jan. 1, 2021: Schools closed for Winter break
- Jan. 4, 2021 to Jan. 15, 2021: The district will operate on a full remote schedule.
- Monday, Jan. 18, 2021: schools and offices closed in honor of The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Jan. 19, 2021: The district will return to a regular hybrid instructional schedule. Students will return to in-person instruction following their hybrid green/white cohort schedule.
This decision was made after a very careful and thoughtful review of current conditions, which included consultations and strong recommendations from Dr. Gelman and other authorities. We feel this in the best interests of our students, staff and greater Minisink Valley community.
We’re sharing this schedule now to give families the time to make the necessary accommodations needed for this schedule modification. Please reach out to your child’s building principal and teacher with any questions you may have.
This is important to note: We will continue to monitor this fluid situation. It is possible this plan may be further modified based on current conditions, OCDOH, state and local mandates. The health and safety of everyone in the Minisink Valley community remains our first and most important priority.
We remain grateful for your ongoing support, flexibility and understanding during these challenging times. Thank you for the trust you give to us to provide exceptional education to your children in a safe way for all.
Brian C. Monahan