Pupil Personnel/Special Education

Sign saying EVALUATION IEP and PLACEMENTThe Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Department is responsible for the evaluation, placement, and service provision of and for students with disabilities as defined by the Part 200 of the Commissioner’s Regulations and IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). This act mandates a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.

Special Education provides specially designed services and programs for children with educational disabilities at no cost to parents or guardians. It is intended to meet individual needs and enhance student strengths.

Students and parents are introduced to special education in various ways. Some disabilities can be identified when children are very young (Committee on Preschool Special Education/CPSE). Others are not identified until children show difficulty in regular school programs (Committee on Special Education/CSE). Special education programs and services are designed to assure that children with disabilities receive appropriate and equal opportunities for educational growth.

Committee on Special Education (CSE)

The Committee on Special Education (CSE) evaluates the needs of children who have or may have physical, mental or emotional disabilities. A comprehensive core evaluation, which includes a psychological, educational and social assessment, helps determine a child’s needs. When a child is recommended for special education, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is developed, specifying services to be provided and the approach to be used to address the child’s needs.

Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)

The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) addresses the needs of children, ages 3 to 5, with disabilities. Parents with preschool children suspected of having a handicapping condition should call the Minisink Valley Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Department 355-5248.

Section 504

Section 504 is a civil rights statute that requires schools — public or private — who receive federal financial assistance for educational purposes to not discriminate against children with disabilities. Under the rulings of Section 504, schools must provide these students with reasonable accommodations comparable to those provided to their peers. Students with a disability that substantially limits a major life function may be eligible for accommodations under a Section 504 Plan.

School psychologists

School psychologists play a major role in prevention, intervention and remediation of school problems. They help identify and evaluate children with emotional, social, behavioral and learning disorders; provide short-term or group counseling; and serve as a resource to staff and parents in working with children with special needs.

Social workers

School social workers intervene in situations where behavioral, emotional or social factors interfere with a student’s ability to attain his/her educational potential. They assess student and parent concerns, provide individual and/or group counseling to students and help parents make use of appropriate community services.

Speech services

Speech therapists help students with speech and language disorders and articulation disorders Therapists serve students classified by the Committee on Special Education (CSE) and other students with special needs.

Student Health Services

Health offices are staffed daily in each building by registered nurses. These offices are available to handle daily medication and emergency needs. For more information: Student Health Services

Important links and resources