Minisink Valley Central School District Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) Program
The Minisink Valley Central School District is a participant in the New York State Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program that is offered annually through a grant.
UPK for the 2023-24 school year
The UPK program offers a limited amount of spots to qualifying families residing in the school district. Parents of eligible four-year-olds, choose one of the participating preschools within the school district.
Once parents select their preschool of choice and the lottery is held by the school district, no UPK spots may be moved to another preschool. Parents are encouraged to gather all necessary information and make sure the chosen preschool meets their needs. The Minisink Valley UPK program provides participating preschools with funding for half- day programs for ﬁve days a week.
The following steps are taken by the school district, in compliance with the New York State UPK regulations, regarding the student selection process:
- A letter and application are sent to parents of all eligible preschool students.
- Once the district is notiﬁed that funding is approved, a list of eligible four-year-old children is generated from the district’s database. If you think your child may not be in the district’s database, please call the district registrar at 845-355-5812 or email email@example.com.
- Information regarding the UPK program is communicated to families via mail sent directly to qualifying families.
- Interested parents are asked to submit the UPK application to the district by the set deadline with their choice of preschool. Applications received after the deadline will go to the bottom of the waitlist.
- The district registrar collects all completed UPK applications. Names are randomly drawn through a lottery. UPK spots are allocated to preschools based on the results.
- Parents are notiﬁed by letter or phone calls regarding “acceptance”/no acceptance” into the UPK program.
- Additional names are drawn on the same day to develop a waiting list for the UPK program.
- The above steps create a random/equitable selection process and award every child an equal opportunity to enter into the UPK program.
The following agencies are contracted with and will participate in the Minisink Valley Universal Prekindergarten Program:
- Bright Beginnings Preschool, Slate Hill
- Little Learners Preschool, Minisink
- Little Munchkins Preschool, Otisville
- New Beginnings Learning Academy, Middletown
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Middletown
- YMCA First Step Preschool, Middletown
To ensure that your child is in the district database (census report), please contact the district registrar.
Any questions related to the Minisink Valley Central School District Universal Prekindergarten Program should be addressed to Colleen Fitzgerald, UPK Coordinator at 845-355-5318; or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full Day UPK spots cannot be split into half day UPK spots.
- Parents have the option of choosing both half day and full day spots. The lottery will determine which spot you may get.
For more information regarding the NYS UPK program please visit: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/earlylearning/