Applications are now being accepted for Minisink Valley’s 2021-22 Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) Program.
The district is a participant in the New York State Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program that is offered annually through a grant.
The UPK program offers a limited amount of spots to qualifying families residing in the school district. Parents of eligible four-year olds, choose one of the participating preschools within the school district.
Once parents select their preschool of choice and the lottery is held by the school district, no UPK spots may be moved to another preschool. Parents are encouraged to gather all necessary information and make sure the chosen preschool meets their needs. The Minisink Valley UPK program provides participating preschools with funding for half- day programs for ﬁve days a week.
The following steps are taken by the school district, in compliance with the New York State UPK regulations, regarding the student selection process:
- A letter and application are sent to parents of all eligible preschool students.
- Once the district is notiﬁed that funding is approved, a list of eligible four year old children is generated from the district’s database. If you think your child may not be in the district’s database, please call the district registrar at 355-5812 or email email@example.com
- Information regarding the UPK program is communicated to families via mail sent directly to qualifying families.
- Interested parents are asked to submit the UPK application to the district by a set deadline with their choice of preschool. Applications received after the deadline will go to the bottom of the waitlist.
- District Registrar Diane Super collects all completed UPK applications.
Names are randomly drawn through a lottery. UPK spots are allocated to preschools based on the results.
- Parents are notiﬁed by letter or phone calls regarding “acceptance”/no acceptance” into the UPK program.
- Additional names are drawn on the same day to develop a waiting list for the UPK program.
- The above steps create a random/equitable selection process and award every child an equal opportunity to enter into the UPK program.
The following agencies are contracted with and currently participate in the Minisink Valley CSD Universal Prekindergarten Program:
- Field of Dreams Preschool
- Little Learners Preschool
- Little Munchkins Preschool
- The Kid’s Place at Slate Hill
To ensure that your child is in the district database (census report), please contact the district registrar.
Any questions related to the Minisink Valley Central School District Universal Prekindergarten Program should be addressed to Vincent Biele, UPK Coordinator/Principal Otisville Elementary School at 355-5851.
For more information regarding the NYS UPK program please visit: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/earlylearning/